WATER

Hobart is the country’s second driest capital (after Adelaide) and the South Arm Peninsula is drier still, laying in a rain shadow created by Mt Wellington with dominant westerly wind patterns

Our plan for Arm End was, and remains, to rehabilitate this unique site to create a valuable community asset. Water is critical to this rejuvenation of the landscape and of course, for creating the world-class golf course to support it.

Given there is no reticulated water supply on the Peninsula, many options for water were considered including salt tolerant turf for seawater irrigation, fresh water piped across from Droughty Point and solar energy desalination. All have their benefits and risks/costs but the option ultimately selected has many benefits, not just to the environment but to the local community.

Detailed engineering design and regulatory approval conditions are being met, so that construction works can commence to build a pipeline from the Blackman’s Bay Water Treatment facility on the western side of the River Derwent to South Arm on the eastern side, that will bring across Class A treated water.

Advantages and Benefits

 

This has many advantages and benefits:

  • It makes use of treated water currently being pumped into the river thereby reducing the impact on the Derwent River Marine Environment.
  • Bores draining the water table at Arm End are not required.
  • A valuable resource is brought to the South Arm community allowing a consistent water supply for revegetation and landscaping, for growing produce in small or large quantities and enhancing community surrounds.
  • The Iron Pot Golf Club and its course in a beautiful coastal setting can both thrive.
  • The landscape surrounding the South Arm RSL Sub-Branch’s magnificent Memorial Park can be softened with greenery.
  • Plus potential access to water also increases land value.

 

Environmentally importantly too: 

  • Habitats of the critically endangered Spotted Handfish have been identified and will be untouched by the pipeline.
  • The pipeline will be constructed using minimal environmental impact methods.
  • Water demands for Arm End (24%) can be met leaving 76% for all other potential users.

FAQS

What is the quality of the water?

The water will be classified as Class A water.

What is the pipeline route?

Connected into the Blackman’s Bay Treatment Plant, the pipeline will be initially Horizontal Directional Drilled from the foreshore at the Blackman’s Bay site and then firmly anchored to the seabed, across the River Derwent, to the northern end of Halfmoon Bay. It will again be Horizontal Directional Drilled from the foreshore at the South Arm side and then the pipe will be aligned up Algona Street to South Arm Road. The piped water will then be directed both north to Arm End and south to the RSL & Community Club and Iron Pot Golf Club. Other potential users will be able to connect into the pipe along the alignment.

Who will manage the water?

South Arm Pipeline Pty Ltd has been set up to construct and manage the pipeline on a cost r3covery. non-commercial return basis. 

Who can use the water?

South Arm Pipeline will provide the infrastructure in terms of a pipeline and will guide and facilitate third party users, who wish to access the water within the western side of the South Arm Peninsula.

All users will likely need an Irrigation Environmental Management Plan (IEMP) and will need to have a contractual agreement.

How much will the water cost?

The cost to all users will be per quantity of water used and pipeline maintenance based on a proportional per use scale. The details and costings are being worked through – residents and rural land holders will be advised as soon as they are finalised.

Why do we need a pipeline?

This is the most sustainable, environmentally progressive and cost-effective way of bringing water to Arm End. We also investigated other water solutions, including a pipeline from Droughty Point, groundwater, desalination, solar/condensation and trucking in the water. The water solution method we have approval to use is a valuable resource that can be implemented for social, environmental and economic value.